You know, its been awhile since I've been to the doctor. To be honest, I hate going to the doctor. Any doctor really: eye doctor, orthodontist, dentist, family doctor, etc...they all just terrify me. What if they tell me I'm going to die. What if they think I'm crazy. What if...that's the question that runs through my head. I have problems explaining my symptoms and everything, and I can't stand it. Its totally embarrassing 98% of the time too. Even if I just go in for a routine check up, I get super nervous, my blood pressure rises, and I freak out. I don't know what it is about doctors that make you feel so insecure? Its even more embarrassing when you live in a small town and the doctor could potentially know you, the nurse could be a friend's mom or you could run into them wherever you go. Its just a weird deal.
Today, I tried to call my doctor to get in for an appt. this week, preferably today or tomorrow. I didn't even care if I saw my specific doctor, I knew I needed to get in. The lady that answered the phone at the clinic was grouchy, and flat out said I can't get in until late next week. Isn't the point of a doctor's office to be able to get in when you need them? I needed them today. Not next week. That's just plain ridiculous. My specific doctor wouldn't even be able to get me in for OVER A MONTH. I found this totally unacceptable. I mean really. I'm not going to gross you out with the details of why I needed a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I waited long enough, and I wasn't waiting another week or even a month. I wanted in today. So guess who got to spend the afternoon in the wonderful Emergency Room since nobody else could see them! Me. Woohoo. It always seems like I go to the ER whenever I don't think its worth it. I always think you need a stick sticking out of your eyeball or a broken limb to go in, but apparently I never go in for any weird reason. I go because I feel like crap and no other doctor can fit me in. I once went because I was sickly and gross. They told me I was crazy and to just go home. No tests at all. Just "you're fine, go home." Thanks crazy doctor with two different colored glasses. I really appreciate it. Especially since I had to sit there for three hours that time.
What is it with ERs taking SO long? I don't know many people who get in and out in an acceptable amount of time. My mom was in for 5 hours BEFORE they even saw her. Its crazy.
I was actually surprised by my experience today though. I was in and out in about an hour and a half, and it went pretty smoothly, although I didn't learn anything as to what's wrong with me. I'm supposed to get in to see a doctor that I TRIED TO GET IN TO SEE, this week according to the ER. Umm...HELLO?! I told you I tried to get in and I can't get in until next week.
I just don't understand hospitals. Its like they TRY to mess you up. After so long I'm just sick of what's making me sick and all I want are answers. I don't want a "there are about 30 different things that could be wrong with you and we don't have time to go through all of them" I want a definitive "you are lactose intolerant" type of thing. Not just an "avoid dairy at all costs and see if you feel better." like I got today.
No comments:
Post a Comment