Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How is this even an issue?

Unless you live under a rock I'm sure you have noticed all of the = signs all over the internet/social media promoting equal marriage rights. This is going to be my little spiel about gay marriage because frankly I'm tired of it being an issue and I feel like this just needs to be out there.

Here we go!

So. To begin with, how is this even an issue? Really. America wasn't built to force others to conform to the religion of the majority, many of the first settlers/immigrants actually came here to practice their own religion because it wasn't tolerated in Europe. If the first settlers were trying to get toleration of their OWN RELIGION, why can't we just accept that homosexual people just want toleration too? Seriously. People seem to think that this is a new idea or something. It's not.

People also seem to think that being gay is something new. It didn't just happen overnight you know. In fact, in Ancient Greece, homosexual relationships were actually CELEBRATED and ENCOURAGED among young men and older men. I'm not going to go all Plato on you here, but these relationships were incredibly vital in ancient Greek society. If they were good enough for the Greeks, why aren't they good enough for us? Why do we condemn these relationships that the Greeks thought so highly of. I mean, of course there were different contexts in relation to the historical periods, but regardless they are still comparable.

Another issue I have with this idea of "anti gay marriage" is that people say that if gay people get married, they will produce gay children. Are. You. Freaking. Kidding. Me. Obviously, straight parents ONLY produce STRAIGHT children, right? This point really bothers me. I mean really, come on let's get real here.
Some people say that allowing gay people to get married will discredit the sanctity of marriage, but come on now, how great is marriage in the first place when we have people like Brittney Spears and Kim Kardashian getting married? People compare gay marriage to marrying their dog but that's just terrible. A person is a person no matter regardless of their sexuality. Don't compare them to dogs. How would you like me to compare you to a dog? I don't think so.

My final problem with this whole issue is that people bring up "well, haven't you read the bible? Marriage is between a man and a woman." but bringing religion into this whole fiasco isn't solving anything. I know some perfectly christian gay people and you know what, they are no different from the rest of us. The bible may say that, but when the government got involved in marriage, they should have left religion out of it completely.  Isn't that supposed to be separation of church and state? If two people love each other, there is no reason that they shouldn't be married. Who are they hurting, me, you? No. It is their life, their choice, not yours. I don't see why other people feel the need to intrude in other's lives. Some people believe that gay marriage is a sin, why others feel like cursing is a sin. Why don't we have debates whether cursing should be allowed in public? It's just as menial of an issue in the scheme of things.

In 50 years, those who oppose gay marriage are going to be looked on just as we look on those who supported segregation. Our country needs to accept the fact that this group of people who have been suppressed, as the Blacks were, are not stepping up to fight for their rights. Yes, it might be against your religion, but you know what? It comes down to the fact that it really doesn't impact you.

Yes. I am a Christian who supports gay marriage. I understand that God said that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I also strongly believe that the Bible was written thousands of years ago and by now it is somewhat out-dated. The ideas and stories hold true, but our society has evolved so much from the time that the book was written that a lot of it can be thought of as silly today. I feel like a lot of the ideas of the Bible are great but some of the things that it talks about become irrelevant in today's day and age. Jesus died for our sins and if you think that gay marriage is a sin, then great. That's a sin that Jesus died for. God loves you no matter what, it's an unconditional love and I believe that that love translates regardless of sexual orientation.

Well. There's my rant. Hope you enjoyed it! These are just my opinions and by no means are they 100% correct nor am I trying to change someone else's opinions, I just thought that I would throw mine out there. :)

2 comments: