Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Toleration

When the good ole United States was initially settled, it was a place that countries would send people for religious toleration. They would say, we aren't going to tolerate your religion here, but if you go there, we will tolerate you. Now we don't have anywhere to send people that we don't want to tolerate (this is said in a joking tone) and we need to "buck up" accept others. This is probably going to be another "controversial" post but I feel like getting these ideas out there is a good thing. 

One thing I think that people have a hard time understanding is that the United States is NOT a Theocracy. For those of you that don't know what that is, the dictionary defines it as "government of a state by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided" Does this sound like the United States? I don't think so. Think of a divine right monarchy of the 17th or 18th centuries. Not everyone in the United States has to be christian, we don't have a head of government that is thought to be sent from God, acting on his behalf do we? Did some people not get that memo? What about separation of church and state? I don't like how on certain issues people always bring up the issue of religious morals or rules in relation to Christianity. Not everyone is Christian (I am, but I don't like those who find it to be the only religion. It's not.). 

Just because I believe something doesn't mean that it is the only thing to believe. I understand that statement is a bit contrary to what this entire post is about in a way, but it's true. I understand where people get their ideas from, and although I don't accept it I still entertain the thought in an Aristotelian sense. All I want people to do is be accepting of one another. How hard is that? I don't think that we should all push religion on each other, especially when others don't believe the same religion. I just don't think we should try to push our beliefs to others when it comes to religion. If I was Muslim, you wouldn't see me trying to force others into my beliefs so why do Christians seem to do it so strongly? 


No comments:

Post a Comment