Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Academic Advising

Today I was in my meeting with my good ole academic advisor to go over classes for next semester (I can't believe how fast this year has gone!) and boy was it an interesting time! I already registered without his help so the meeting was basically pointless, but I enjoy meeting with the guy any way the majority of the time although I swear he is crazy. I thought that some of the things he said or topics we discussed were so ridiculous that they were blog worthy so here they are.

1. He read me a poem about a dog, which I really enjoyed actually. One moment we're talking about Paradise Lost, then it's Walt Whitman and then we're on a dog poem from Martha Speaks.
2. You can't fix stupid. Some people are just dumb as a door and you can't teach them. Not everyone can learn. (His views, not mine) Education is full of ridiculous jargon (as I apparently will learn.)
     -On this topic, I do believe that all students can learn, just some learn in different ways. I also agree that you can't fix stupid. There's a difference.
3. Paradise Lost is NOT the Bible. (When I said this he said that I was a genius so I thought I would include it)
4. His mother is like a cat. Stubborn and won't give up on her position. If the world ended, she would be the last person alive yet is the nicest person he has ever met. (I feel like our conversations always go back to his mother...awkward...)
5. Dogs DO love. Although his girlfriend would tend to disagree with him. We then discussed different animals and how their personalities are reflective. He says that dolphins have reflective personalities...not even 100% sure what that means so I just smiled and nodded.
6. I'm a genius. (My absolute favorite part about my advisor is that he constantly tells me that I'm a genius and one of the brightest people he's met. He also tells me that I'm going far and all that fun stuff. I pretty much enjoy it.)
7. He was apparently in a LOGOS-esque class when he was in college and enjoyed it.
8. "How are you?" I'm good... "No. Really, how are you?" I'm pretty good actually...haha
9. Relationships and how when one ends/life gets confusing your mind mentally goes back to it's last set-point in which everything was fine... (fascinating stuff actually)
10. He printed out an 8 page article he said he thinks I will enjoy reading which discusses Rene Descartes, Plato and Aristotle and animals. I haven't read it yet...might not...it seems somewhat interesting, but 8 pages?
11. If he wasn't a psychologist what he would have decided to become in order: Psychology, Economics, History, Physics and what he would not become: Math or Chemistry. It was interesting to hear his reasons behind these.

All of these things took place in a span of about 20 minutes. It was quite the interesting meeting...I have to say I'm going to miss him as my advisor next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment