Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Congratulations Mr. President

Well, in case you haven't noticed, (perhaps you live in a hole in the ground or in a tree or under a rock, I don't judge) the election is now over. Thank goodness. As much as I love our political system, I was ready for it to be over. No more ads. No more emails. No more annoying phone calls. It's done and man am I elated from the results. Quite a few people were skeptical about the President going into the election, and I'll admit, so was I but as soon as he won Pennsylvania, I knew it was over.

I believe that everyone should have the chance to experience what I experienced last night when the race was beginning to be called for Obama, and I can't even begin to describe what I experienced. I'll give a quick run-down of my night to try to explain.

Election coverage on NBC began at 6:00 (central time) so I set my laptop up with my TV because I didn't want to watch the local news channels, I was more focused on the Presidential race versus the congressional races. Around 7:00 we decided to grab dinner, and around 8:00 I took a shower. I've been incredibly sick the last few days so it was a big deal to be able to get up and moving yesterday! Then around 8:30 I zoned in to the election full force for the next hour and a half. Just after 10:00 I started falling asleep so I turned the TV and computer off and tried to sleep. I couldn't. I gave up and saw that my phone had ten texts about the election. I read the first one and was confused. I couldn't figure out how in a matter of 10 minutes the race could change so drastically. As soon as I read those I was awake. I started texting and posting on social media and watching the news.

As all of this is unfolding as the news of President Obama's reelection is spreading, I hear cheers across campus and in my hall of "OBAMA!!" and in that moment I began laughing hysterically (to the point my roommate was giving me some weird looks) and I was so incredibly proud of the work that our young people have done and the amazing job that the Obama campaign did. My first election. My first vote. All for someone I truly believe will move our country forward. It might sound cheesy, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment