This Presidential election between President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney has been all I seem to talk about with people lately, and I find it to be one of the most important elections in recent history (not just because I didn't follow politics until recently!).
The American People are split, on one hand we have a President who has promised the world and hasn't been able to deliver on a few of those promises (which, by the way I don't find to be his fault) but has visibly tried his best. Its seriously a tough job, think about it. You're accountable to billions of people, how would you like everyone blaming you for their problems? I don't think it would be that enjoyable.
On the other hand we have Mr. Romney who only wants to cater to the wealthy. Well, Mr. Romney I don't think that's going to work out. The population of our GREAT country is vastly middle class and if you want to take away programs like food stamps and agencies such as the Department of Education, you are going to be taking away the future of our country (not literally obviously, but taking away opportunities for our young people like me). Without the Department of Education there's less accountability with our schools, not that I think we need a ton of federal intervention, but I do believe that there needs to be someone guaranteeing that ALL students get a quality education no matter where they live. A student in Iowa should have just as good of an education as a student from Florida. Its that simple. And without the Department of Education at the federal level there is no way to guarantee that these students all receive the education that they deserve. The states won't hold themselves accountable without this being federally mandated. It just won't happen. Another problem with Mr. Romney is that he wants to get rid of programs like Obamacare and food stamps which is all fine and dandy IF he can create ENOUGH jobs that EVERY American citizen can afford to buy their food and health insurance. Seriously. Times are tough. You aren't going to be able to grow our country if we don't have a solid middle class. Like I said earlier, the majority of the population of our country is considered in the Middle Class and taking away these programs isn't going to help at all. Sure it'll cut down of the deficit but that's it. Sure the deficit is a big deal and we need to cut spending but we don't need to do it all at once. Yes our govt. is big, but cutting it down to be minuscule isn't the way to move our country into the 21st century. Sorry Mr. Romney.
President Obama has done a fantastic job in my books. Yeah, I give him the benefit of the doubt because he truly inherited a messed up situation. He's been working to bring our troops home. Its not something that can happen in a day like so many people think. We can't just leave those countries that we're in and be done. We have to SLOWLY withdraw. Just think about it. If we pull out of the Middle East completely we are opening ourselves up for disaster. As soon as we leave some of those countries, they'll be engulfed in chaos and will be open for those terrorists (who, by the way, don't like us!) to take over and gain power. So many people think it would be just so easy to pull our armed forces out of those countries and they obviously haven't thought about the logistics of it all. Who was able to capture Bin Laden? President Obama. Way to go! Looking back on this presidency I think that was definitely one of the biggest accomplishments. I really don't think that the American people realize all that President Obama has been able to get done regardless of what he said he would get done.
Congress during these last 4 years has been impossible. All we heard on the news was about gridlock in congress. They can't agree on this, or they can't agree on that. Its sickening. We elected (well, not me since I wasn't old enough) but the American people elected those congressmen to get stuff done. Not to sit there and argue like children. Yes there has to be compromise. That's what the job of being in congress is about. How long did it take to extend the current rate on student loans because of Republicans wanting to double the rate? Too long. (I don't remember how long but I was freaking out for quite awhile) Like I said earlier, YOUTH are the future of our nation, and raising the interest rate on student loans is not helping our young people in any way, shape or form.
I was watching President Obama speak in Council Bluffs today on television since I wasn't able to get to Council Bluffs to get a ticket on Saturday (talk about MAJOR disappointment!) and I realized that he has worked his tail off to make our country great and for that I strongly commend him. We as a people need to pull together and figure out how WE want our country to be run. For Mitt Romney (and many Americans) to come in and say that Obamacare is so terrible is crazy. Did anyone happen to watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics where Great Britain CELEBRATED the fact that they have Universal Healthcare? Hello there America. This sounds like a good idea to me.
Finally what is the problem with gay marriage? This totally blows me away. Our country was founded on the ideas of freedom and individuality (or so I thought) and religious freedom. To say that we shouldn't allow gay marriage just because it is't "traditional" according to the bible is in my belief unconstitutional. We shouldn't be telling people that they can't get married. Think about it. What if someone told you that you couldn't get married to the person you love. That's what outlawing gay marriage is doing. In ancient times, homosexual relationships were actually celebrated so why do we have to make a big deal of them now. Although I am not a huge proponent of marriage whether homosexual or heterosexual (human and dog, cat and fish whatever relationship you please) I don't see why the government should be able to decide whether or not someone can marry someone. It just blows my mind. Marriage isn't about what type of relationship you are in, its about the love you feel for each other. It all comes down to treating every American citizen equally and making sure that everyone has the same opportunities as others. The government doesn't need to make these decisions, although they do. Why don't we just make marriage universal. You can marry whatever or whoever you want. Say I find my stuffed purple dinosaur to be rather attractive (we've been together for about 17 years now) so I want to marry him. What difference does it make to the government? Yeah it'd be a bit weird for me to marry a stuffed animal but why the heck not. I just don't see why we find the need to make this such a big debate. I don't think it is any of our business who someone decides to marry so why do we get involved? I definitely support the President when it comes to his views on gay marriage. I know some fantastic gay people and they should be able to be as free to do whatever they please just as I am.
If you've made it to the bottom of this post I commend you...great job. I hope I didn't irritate, anger or bore you too badly!
On a final note I would like to announce my candidacy for the first democratic campaign I am able to run for. (I need to do some more research on this topic) Maybe I'll run for mayor. Who knows....
Hayley
No comments:
Post a Comment