I've been at GV for nearly a month now and its crazy how much everything has changed and I'm loving all of it. At first I was so incredibly nervous and scared and sad but now I'm feeling so comfortable here and the city of Des Moines is absolutely fantastic...why didn't I move here sooner?! College is challenging me in ways I never imagined. Challenging me to think about the meaning of my life and what my purpose is. Its making me think about whether I believe in universal truths or how relationships occur and how they shape people into who they become. I'm reading Walt Whitman, Renae Descartes and Martin Buber and thinking about what they say about the world. I never believed I would be going through so much deep thought so soon. I expected to have to think about these things but I didn't plan on delving right into it. I'm also exploring the stores I like to shop at or the music I like to listen to. These didn't really change much, but as I explore I learn more and more that I do and don't like. For example, McDonalds used to be my absolute favorite place to eat (in Shenandoah, there weren't many options) but now that I'm here in DSM and I have thousands of options to choose from I ate there the other day and frankly I felt incredibly sick after eating there. Its crazy how your tastes change as you go through life. I find myself listening to more and more Michael Buble and Frank Sinatra as I do my homework and study and its kind of out of place here with all of the rap I'm surrounded by.
Des Moines is a crazy town to me. There are times where I feel at home but there are times I feel completely out of place. There are sirens all the time which is new to me, because back home sirens were a pretty rare thing and to hear them so often is weird. Its also really loud. I blame that on the fact that I live in a College Dormitory but still, its something I'm getting adjusted to. I love the city though and all of the opportunities it affords me. Des Moines is so full of promise and potential. There are help wanted signs up in most places I've visited, and its just incredible how much opportunity is here. It really is a fantastic, growing city and I love being around so much opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment